Monday, November 24, 2008

HAPPILY MARRIED


Yesterday I had the privilege of performing a marriage renewal ceremony. It was nothing fancy, just a brief service of about 10 minutes, held immediately after our morning service. The occasion was the 50th wedding anniversary of a couple in the church, Jim and Deloris Heiligher. They wanted to renew their vows on their anniversary, and I was honored to assist them.

I had some remarks prepared, but went a little off the script, as I performed the ceremony. I remember telling them that in 50 years, you definitely have learned that your mate isn't perfect. You have realized they have some flaws. You have also shared in some heartaches, some fears, and some troubles. But you stuck it out, you survived. What a testimony. I mean this as no slam to anyone who has had marriage problems. I am not one of those preachers who think God has turned His back on you, and that you can never be used. I am simply saying that it is an honor to see couples who have made it in spite of adversities and trials that will certainly come their way.

I speak from experience. I, too, am happily married. Next month, my wife and I will celebrate our wedding anniversary (38, I think:). Trish and I were married far too young. But we were truly in love. And our love has lasted all kinds of storms and crisis points during the years. Today, she is more beautiful, more precious, and more godly, than the day we met. I could not imagine life without her in my life. I am sure I will blog about our marriage again on our anniversary.

It's good to be happily married.

That's it for today. Y'all be blessed.

Pastor Ronnie

No comments: