Friday, November 28, 2008

COUPLE RETURNS THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS FOUND ON THE HIGHWAY

The Martins of Kings Mountain NC were returning home from a shopping trip when they spotted a purse on US ByPass 74. They pulled to the side to retrieve the item, and discovered it had more than $5000 in $100 bills. They had no intention of keeping the money. Here is the story from the Shelby Star:

"I told my wife, ‘Somebody has lost their purse,' and we turned around to pick it up," Vance said. "By the time we turned around somebody had run over it and money was lying everywhere."
As Vance, who is on disability, dodged traffic to retrieve the $100 bills, there was only one thing on his mind.
"We decided we would take it to the police department and turn it in," he said. "We didn't think about doing anything else. If I had kept the money, every time I would have bought something I would have felt guilty."
Shelby Patrol Officer Chris Wilkinson was shocked that in these bad economic times and this close to Christmas that the Martins turned in the wallet.
"I was kind of surprised at that much money," he said. "There's still some good people out there."
The large wallet had a passport in the wallet along with credit cards, business cards, important papers, frequent flyer cards, $1,000 in foreign currency, a recent paycheck and more than $5,000 in $100 bills. The person whose identity was found inside the wallet was a man from Charlotte. He had decided to carry cash because of the uncertainty in the economy and banking industry.

"I have had the opportunity to meet two people who have more character than most of the people I have met in my lifetime," he said. "Instead of my life being upside down, my life was restored by two people who are honest and love their beliefs enough to live them each day and in each moment. And over time, I hope I can come close to repaying them" said the man whose wallet was returned.

I know none of these people personally. I occasionally read the Shelby Star online, and ran across this article today. In these days of bad news, it is good to read a little good news in the paper.

Thanks, Martins, for being an example of honesty. Thanks, Shelby Star, for printing an inspirational story.

Blessings,
Pastor Ronnie

No comments: