Thursday, November 13, 2008

THE PURPOSE OF THE PAIN

I have a low tolerance for pain. It is pretty much a no tolerance. I don't like pain of any kind, of any measure. But life comes with pain. I have never experienced the pain of childbirth, but my wife can tell you about it. Out of that pain comes the most beautiful creation God ever made-- the beauty of a new born child. Wow! I remember that beauty of each of our children, and how my beautiful wife produced life out of the pain.

I am no expert on the pain subject, but understand that pain is a necessary signal for us. For example, pain comes when I lay my hand on a hot iron. The pain of the touch serves as a warning to move away, or I could suffer a more severe burn. In that case, I appreciate the pain. The alternative is to permanently damage my hand. Thank you, Lord, for the pain of the burn.

So life comes with various measures of pain. The pain of sickness, the pain of divorce, the pain of death, the pain of broken promises. The pain of disappointment, and on and on-- you get the picture. You don't enjoy the pain, but you learn from each situation in life. Or, at least you should.

The Apostle Paul said in the book of Romans, chapter eight, "And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to the called according to His purpose." This verse didn't say that everything that happens in our lives is good. It says that God causes everything to work together, to fit into a plan, for our good. It says "we know." We know the purpose of the pain. God will use disappointment for His appointment. Joseph passed the test, made it through the pain, and resided in the palace. The pain he endured was a catalyst for his promotion.

May God help us to learn from every painful situation. May they not hold us captive, but may they be the propelling force that pushes us to our destiny. May we capture the purpose of the pain. Like Joseph, may we understand that what the enemy meant for our destruction, God will use for our promotion.

Y'all be blessed. Have a great night's sleep. And thanks for reading my blog.

Love and Prayers,
Pastor Ronnie

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I love one verse where the Lord says, "See I haven't forgotten you, I have inscribed you on the palm of My hand." Life isn't always easy when you're in the palm of His hand, but I know I don't want to be anywhere else! Thanks for your blog -- very inspiring!